Monday, December 1, 2008

oh wyoming

I learned something amazing about Wyoming recently, but to those of you who live in the city, you have to promise not to get too mad...


First let me just say that I absolutely love Christmas time. I'm into some pretty cheesy, typical stuff. Like getting excited about Christmas music and lights and looking at how people decorated their houses, and my favorite...CHRISTMAS TREES! There's almost nothing better than walking into a home (or in my case, a trailer) that smells of pine and Christmas. But I always hated the fact that Christmas trees are so stinkin expensive. You spend so much money on a already cut down tree that's drying up already. When I was a kid my family would drive 30-40 minutes to cut one down ourselves... well that got harder and harder to find when I got older...


Well, I'm not in California anymore! I live in the mountains! And you know what that means?


it costs 5 DOLLARS for a permit to cut down your own tree that's 6 feet or less! And if you want to get really crazy, it's 8-10 bucks for a tree less than 10 or 12 feet, and if youre just out of your mind you can get a 15+ foot tree for 10-15 bucks! (or something along those lines...)


What a great family tradition to start...hiking in the snow to find your own tree in the forrest! Maybe one day...


Now this made me really excited. Then the little hippie voice in the back of my mind told me how ridiculous it is for millions of people to cut down trees every year just to throw them away a few weeks later. But I figure as long as I do something useful with it afterwards, like carve something out of it, or use it to keep me warm, it won't be a total loss. And I think that a nice smelling, festive Christmas tree will brighten up my little trailer and bring me joy, especially being so far from so many I love this Christmas. I'm not saying for everyone to go crazy and cut down all the trees they want, but I think the abundance of trees in this area could spare a small little guy for this crazy, smelly girl to feel at home this Christmas.

So that's just what i'm gonna do. I'm gonna get myself a Christmas tree! ...for 5 BUCKS!!!



No comments: